Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Readings for 12/06

Well, the YouTube video was unavailable.  The message I received when I tried to view it:

This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Viacom International Inc..

The No Place to Hide website was...scary.  I mean, I know that personal information is always being monitored.  But wow..."When you go to work, stop at the store, fly in a plane, or surf the web, you are being watched. They know where you live, the value of your home, the names of your friends and family, in some cases even what you read. Where the data revolution meets the needs of national security, there is no place to hide."  (from the website).  Sobering, truly sobering.  I guess I live in a state of semi-plausible denial about privacy violations and I hate it when I'm forced back into reality.


The section on the "Total 'Terrorism' Information Awareness (TIA)" was also disturbing.  I'd heard of data mining, but I prefer to pretend that it doesn't exist and that our government plays no part in it.  

3 comments:

  1. Hello Timothy,

    As you pointed out in your posting here and on the comment you made on my blog, none of this is really unexpected for anyone who has been following recent trends and events, but many of us choose to ignore how bad it really has become. As you mentioned: it's still palatable if you pretend not to know.

    So, now that you do know more of the details, and to the extreme that some of this has reached, I do have to ask: is it still palatable to you, or do you think your state of denial is permanently shattered by reality?

    --Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  2. The health data mining can be sensitive and disturbing for people. Future works might help to resolve these issues. Additional info:
    SYMPOSIUM: EXTRAORDINARY POWERS IN ORDINARY TIMES Mission Creep: Public Health Surveillance and Medical Privacy / Mariner, Wendy K. Boston University Law Review (2007), volume 87, issue 2, p. 347-396

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I felt the same way, I'll try to answer your question Anthony. Like you've said, we all really knew that you're not private online. Even after reading formal declarations of this, I don't think it will change my attitudes very much.

    ReplyDelete