Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Reading for FastTrack Weekend

I thought that Karen Coyle's article was SO interesting!  Really.  I liked the way she explained RFIDs and how they are similar to, yet different from, bar codes.  Very nice and simple explanations!  I almost choked when she admitted that RFID tags can be circumvented, though.  Ha!  I found her idea that check-out functions might be turned over to patrons and virtually eliminating the circulation staff to be a chilling thought.  She pointed out (correctly, I might add) that for most patrons, the circulation staff is the face of the library and the only human contact those patrons might have in the building.  She's right--we cannot afford to overlook this technology and need to be prepared...one way or another.

The YouTube clip was quick, easy, and painless.  I thought he did a great job of explaining the LAN and PAN and MAN.  I had no idea there were such things like a PAN or MAN.  Wow.  I knew about LANs, of course. 

The Wikipedia article about Local Area Networks did a great job of explaining what exactly they are (I wasn't 100% sure before I saw the YouTube video and read the article). 

The Wikipedia article about the Computer Network was chock-full of new terms for me, yet they were all easy enough to understand.  I liked the part about the wired technologies and the wireless technologies.  I thought it did a good job of explaining each type.  And I really appreciated the explanations for the various type sof networks.  Who knew there were so many???  Okay, maybe everyone else already knew.  I did not.  As far as the basic hardware components, I'll add that to the list of things I never thought about before.  I had no clue what a repeater or a bridge really was.  Likewise, while I'd heard the terms switches and routers before, I wasn't quite sure what their functions were.  It was a very informative article.

8 comments:

  1. I think like in many other places, circulation in a library isn't going to be fully turned over to patrons for a long time, if ever. At the very least, I'm sure there would be a person there monitoring, like when you go through the self-checkout line at the grocery store or a pharmacy. I have to admit, having moved to a new town, I have checked out all of my library items at a self-checkout station... and like it. It's not the end of the world! ;-)

    And I'm with you- I didn't know there were that many types of networks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim,

    I liked the part about circumventing the RFID tags, too! Something to file away for possible use in a future life of criminality....?! And about all of the vocabulary in the Computer Network article- it was news to me, too. I always hated when I moved (which was very often) and had to start up new internet service at home. I never knew whether to choose TP/PPP or Ethernet or whatever else my options were. I didn't understand the whole network thing. I'm beginning to, though, through informative articles like this. I'm so glad we are taking this class.
    Michele Farina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim, Amy, and Michele,

    I also did not know there were so many different types of networks, and I did not know that the virtual private network could even exist. The readings for this week were actually not that difficult to understand, and they were enjoyable. Like Amy I do not think self-checkout is going to replace the reference staff in a library any time soon. However, it could benefit a library by freeing up time for staff members. I have never used self-checkout at a library, but from what other people have said it works very well and doesn't usually malfunction, unlike the self-checkout at the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you about the YouTube video. I also did not know there were such things as PANs or MANs. I like how he explained everything in simplistic terms so I could understand. The Wikipedia article was okay too but, when trying to understand technology, I do much better when I am listening/watching lectures as opposed to trying to read about it. I hope we are assigned more videos in future weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too found the YouTube video to be very helpful and think that more videos should be assigned. I find that visual learning sometimes works best, and in a technology situation I think this is extremely applicable.

    I also agree that we need to pay close attention to RFID's and their development, especially as their costs come down and more libraries become interested in using them. I dont think that they necessarily mean then end of the circulation desk, but maybe I am too much of an optimist when it comes to these things.
    I too was surprised that the author mentioned that the tags can be circumvented. Perhaps it is more well known than we know, and that mentioning it is not really all that odd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with everyone about the surprise of circumventing the RFID tags. Michele F. I was laughing so hard after reading your comment about filing that tidbit away. In case library school doesn't work out, we can now all have a back-up plan! I agree with BarbCM about loving the videos.

    And Tim you are not alone. I also had no idea about the many types of area networks. Every time I read for this class I am shocked by my lack of knowledge in the technological realm. And I use most of this stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I work in a bookstore that uses RFID tags. You would be suprised how many people have figured out how to get around those tags. In fact, people come up with ways to steal things that blow my mind. Apparently, I was never meant to be a criminal mastermind...darn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Librarians with RFID are probably not pleased with this circumventing disclosure but I'm sure someone would have thought of it. People looove to beat the system. A great article though and written for the layperson to assimilate, not too tecchie so that I have to consult elsewhere every few words. Lots of food for thought.

    ReplyDelete