Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Readings for November 1

Okay, I loved the HTML tutorial.  It was cool to see what all of those things with <word> really mean!  And I had fun actually playing around with stuff.  Do I think I could do this on my own?  With an unlimited amount of time and patience, yes. 

The cheatsheet was also very useful.  I think that these 2 resources, if used together, would maybe (hopefully) be of great use if I had to do something like this for a library.

With the CSS stuff, yeah...I'd need someone like Jiepu or Dr. He to walk me through it.  I don't find CSS as intuitive or user-friendly as the HTML stuff. 

The article about CMS and Georgia State was interesting, especially the part contrasting the open source option with the in-house option.  After reading this, I know that I would never make a good web development librarian.  Forget what I said in the 2nd paragraph.  :-)  However, I have a lot of respect for people who can do this stuff.

3 comments:

  1. I, too, Mr. Gatton, would need a real 'tutor' sitting next to me to oversee any HTML work for which I'm responsible! Although it's not really my 'thing,' I AM glad to at least be able to make some sense of it now. It's like studying a foreign language that doesn't use our same alphabet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think our next assignment is going to be about building a web page (at least that is what the syllabus says), so I think we are definitely going to need this information. Tim, I agree with you that CSS seems harder than HTML. I mean, I get why it exists, but using it seems sort of complicated. There is a section called "CSS Examples" on the CSS website that has links at the bottom of each section that provides more in-depth information. I wonder if we are going to have to create style-sheets in our next assignment as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that CSS looks more complicated when compared with the HTML. However, it is possible to learn this language. It is just a matter to learn the CSS syntax and understand a “relationships” between the CSS and HTML and later XHTML. The site W3C tutorial is good starting place to practice writing CSS code. As Michele F. said, it is similar to learning a foreign language. You begin from an alphabet, progress to letters and words, and then to the essay. Teachers can help students, but from my language learning experience 90 % of effort must come from students.

    ReplyDelete