Saturday, November 27, 2010

Readings for 11/29

LOVED the clip about Wikipedia.  I use Wikipedia pretty frequently and found the video to be really interesting and I think the Wikibooks project sounds great.  The number of volunteers working on this is staggering.  Logically, it doesn't seem like any of this should work as well as it does.  I enjoyed hearing about the quality control measures in place.  I always kind of wondered exactly how that worked.

The article about librarians making their own wikis was also pretty cool.  I'd never thought about the possibilities for librarians before.  I'm sure I'll be making use of these in my career.

The social tagging article was also really interesting.  I think that would be a great innovation for libraries.  After all, we want people to be able to find information.  What better way than to have patrons come up with the tags that make the most sense to them?

The article about blogging was also helpful.  I think the idea of using blogs for collaboration is a cool one.  It does sound like it would be a lot easier to use for that than the seemingly endless stream of back-and-forth e-mails. 

2 comments:

  1. I think the problem with tagging is that what makes sense to one patron may not make any sense to another, and if you are a bored college freshman looking for somewhere to make a stupid prank, tagging sounds like a great place to tag with immature words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought about pranking before. It certainly could be chaos at best.

    ReplyDelete