Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Readings for 11/8

I thought that Martin Bryan's article entitled, "An Introducxtion to the Extensible Markup Language (XML)" was pretty informative.  I like the emphasis on how XML has so much more flexibility than its predecessors.  I also had no idea that XML would assign a default definition if no DTD was present. 

Uche Ogbuji's article on the core standards of XML was useful with its links and tutorials.  It would make a great reference tool for those working on XML. 

The XML Tutorial about Extending Your Markup was presented in a nice, user-friendly format, especially for beginners.  I liked the definition of DTD as context-free grammar.  That kind of made sense to me!  The Extensible Stylesheet Language part was also useful, though I had to read that section a few times to really understand it. 

The tutorial from w3schools.com was also helpful.  I know I'll be referring to it constantly on the final assignment...

3 comments:

  1. Tim, you're right about these articles and tutorials coming in handy for our final assignment!
    By the way, I like your virtual bookshelf in Koha. Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim,
    I also thought the "Extending your Markup: a XML tutorial” article was very easy to understand. In fact, I wish I would have read this one first. I like the examples, especially the one that compares a bibliographic entry in both HTML and XML. I am also a fan of the w3schools websites, because I don't think I am going to ever be able to memorize all of those HTML tags.
    -Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan, I am also glad that such resources about XML and HTML tags are out there for us. I would never be able to use them without having these tutorials and articles that provide examples to better explain the concepts.

    ReplyDelete